Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My First Wedding Craft: Cupcake Toppers

Summer's here, and I've got time on my hands, baby!

However, that freedom won't last forever. Similar to my students, I have a busy couple of months ahead of me. Soon my summer will be filled with professional development and summer school teaching. However, right now I'm in recovery/relaxation mode. Taking care of myself, sleeping in, reading, running, BLOGGING, and doing some of the wedding chores I need to do. While writing checks and making phone calls is productive, I wouldn't call it fun. So while I had a free afternoon in front of me, I decided to tackle one of the crafts I had my eye on for the wedding: cupcake toppers.

onewed.com

 egala.com
 
Since we're planning on having cupcakes at our wedding, I wanted to do something to jazz up the plain  frosting on each petite cake. Browsing around online I found a ton of cute cupcake toppers, but I wasn't eager to spend a ton on something that would inevitably end up on some table at the end of the night: no one wants to take these puppies home, I'm sure... 

bhldn.com

I loved the look of these 5 gold sparkly hearts from bhldn, but I didn't love the price. Plus, there were only 5 of the toppers, and I'm still not sure if we're even having a cutting cake or just cupcakes, so the size wasn't very practical. What's a girl to do? Craft it myself!

 
Now, this craft is far from rocket science. My materials were flippin' simple:
  • Martha Stewart heart paper punch
  • Glittery scrapbook paper
  • Mini wooden dowels
  • Glue gun



All I did was punch out the hearts in rapid succession over an empty box, glue one side, slap a dowel down, place another heart on top, squeeze and then, boom! Cupcake topper. (Sorry my instructions are lame, but seriously? This project was too simple.)

Of course, I was also mixing up the paper and using this really cool, extra sparkly paper that the paper punch just could not handle, so I've somehow already jammed the thing. The punch will be going back to Michael's tomorrow, because I have 27 of these babies ready to go, but I'm aiming for one on each cupcake, so 98 more to go, at least!  



My next craft looks like it is going to be a disaster (a gold glittery initial letter for a table). Looks like I'll just be hiding it somewhere in the decor! What was your first wedding craft project like? Simple or complicated? Success or failure?




No comments:

Post a Comment