Saturday, May 17, 2014

Juicey Juice

I'm all about trying new things. Just kidding. New things are the worst and I hate change. But I am a bit of a bandwagon hopper when it comes to fitness, and all of the juice cleanses out there have definitely intrigued me. There were many purported benefits such as glowing skin, more energy and focus, and a jump start for your metabolism. A few of my coworkers decided to do a cleanse (the same week of writing report cards) and I decided to jump on board!

I knew a juice cleanse wasn't going to be a cure for my quest for weight loss. Sure, I'd lose some weight, but as soon as I took a bite of anything all that weight would jump right back on, but I was eager to get a jump start on eating healthy and being more mindful. Read on to see if I achieved my goals...

my meals (x3) for three days

The juice cleanse was three days long. Each day I got to drink 6 juices, including: green dream (kale, romaine, apple, celery), PAMP (pineapple, apple, mint, pear), beetastic (beets, apple, ginger), lively lemonade (lemon, cayenne, agave), tropical dreams (greens, cuke, cilantro, pineapple), and cozy cashew milk (cashew, cinnamon). 

The BEST juices:
-The green ones, which were pretty savory, were delicious and satisfying
-PAMP. Seriously so delicious and refreshing. Would have been more delicious with tequila in a salt rimmed glass and some chips and guac...
-Cozy cashew milk. Nights would have been very sad without that delicious, milkshake-like drink!

The WORST juice:
-Beetastic. Decidedly NOT beetastic. I struggled to get through that drink every lunch... I'm so not a beet girl, unless they are in a salad with goat cheese. 

I felt pretty good throughout the cleanse. I didn't cheat once, which was the surprising part for me. I'm a pretty mindless eater and I tend to just grab snacks throughout the day without truly thinking if I really am hungry or just want to eat... I drank a lot of water with lemon and cucumber and herbal tea to stay hydrated and I had each juice 2-3 hours apart. I got a lot of sleep too. During the cleanse, I went to bed at 9:00 on the dot each night, and got up a little later (5:20 in the am, whoa watch me sleep in a whole extra 20 minutes!) since I didn't have to worry about making coffee, breakfast or lunch. 

On Saturday at 12:00, I had my first bite of food and sip of coffee in over 90 hours. I had oatmeal and it was so delicious. I wanted an almond croissant, but thought of all that hard work I just put into my body, so I settled for the oatmeal and I really have no regrets. Well, I still want the almond croissant, but the oatmeal left me completely satisfied! 

Would I do another juice cleanse? Probably. It was rejuvenating and left me feeling lighter, more focused, and I got great rest during it. I'll be interested in seeing whether I am able to continue making better food choices or I will fall back into my mindless-eating ways. Overall, I highly recommend it (expect the beet juice. I'm going to need something other than beet juice in my next cleanse!)


No comments:

Post a Comment