Monday, June 16, 2014

Our Engagement Pictures

When we booked our photographer, I was really excited about having our engagement pictures taken. An hour of glamour shots of me and my boo? Um, yeah, count me in. I quickly booked us an hour shoot in Santa Cruz on Joel's 29th birthday on a Thursday evening during my spring break. I didn't know exactly where we were going to take pictures or what I would wear or what Joel would wear, but I was very excited nonetheless.

Then... the terror struck. What would I wear?! What would Joel wear?!?! Where would we take the pictures?!?!? How would my big, ol' nose photograph?!? The day of the shoot, I actually had stomach pains I was so nervous and the first 5 minutes was spent nervously giggling and acting like  a straight-up fool... getting pictures taken in public was pretty awkward and I probably came off as a giant idiot to our photographer. Eventually, I defrosted a bit and started to get the hang of taking pictures: getting awkwardly close, nose to nose, laughing on command and lots and lots of kissing. I'm not one to shy away from PDA, but doing it in front of a camera was surprisingly challenging.

We kissed, we hugged, we walked around Santa Cruz and we even changed outfits (note: if I were to do these pictures over, I might not have changed outfits. It was a huge hassle in the car and I think I flashed our photographer. Sorry, Michael!) Not even 24 hours later we had our engagement pictures and they are stunning. Who knew we could be so freaking hot? I love them, Joel loves them, our family loves them...we're so happy with them and can't wait to use them everywhere in our wedding. For example, we weren't going to have save the dates. Now? Well... they're already ordered! I'm also thinking we'll have a photo guest book... how about giant life-sized posters? Kidding. Here's the pics:

one of the first pictures we took & an example of my nervous laughter. note: joel was much more composed and comfortable in front of the camera, he's my male model!

we took photos in 2 locations: the first was an abandoned moon temple i used to live behind in college. freaky then, but cool now.









one of my absolute favorites



the cool moon temple gate

after our outfit change, we walked a block to the cliffs to take some pictures. 



gah, look at him! how did i get so lucky. i think you can see it on my face too... i'm kind of obsessed with this guy


all images c/o Michael James Photography

Our photographer Michael is amazing. Joel and I are still in awe of his incredible skill and ability to put us at ease. He was so easy to talk to and directed us without making us seem like idiots. I'm glad we got to spend some time with him (way more than the hour he booked us for!) before the wedding and I can't wait to see his pictures in February!


No comments:

Post a Comment