Tuesday, March 4, 2014

DOC da What?!

DOC. A Day of Coordinator. Someone whose job it is to step in and say, "I got this..." all day on your wedding. For someone like me who's constantly worried about logistics, a Day of Coordinator sounds amazing.

Now I've really enjoyed wedding planning, and I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing and how things are going (or at least it's fun to pretend to think so!). I don't know if I need a whole wedding planner, but getting some help on the day of the rehearsal and the wedding would be so helpful, and would take any pressure off of my mom and me during the wedding.

I want my family and friends to enjoy our wedding! I don't want to assign people vendors to keep on top of or give my mom a bunch of envelopes with tips to be responsible for handing out later. If vendors have questions, I don't want to hear about them on my wedding day unless it is a dagnabbit emergency. A DOC would be responsible for being that point of contact person on our wedding day, answering all our vendor's questions and helping to set up and take down my wedding vision.

My mom and I both felt strongly about having a DOC, so I set off to find one available on our big day. I call up the first DOC. She sounds amazing! Her services include a meeting to walk through the venue, time at our rehearsal and all set up and tear down on our big day! The cost? $2000.



I'm sorry I'm not sorry, but $2000 for roughly 15 hours of work, TOTAL? That's not going to be happening. Also, after my wedding, I'm quitting teaching and becoming a DOC. 

I called around to some other coordinators and their prices were all similar. $1700, $1800...not much of a difference between $2000! We haven't found a videographer yet, so I really worry about splashing out this money. On the other hand, a DOC feels almost like a necessity to be our detail person on the big day.

Here I am, stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I had a larger wedding party, maybe this wouldn't be as much of an issue (I could be delegating!) but since it may be a small bridal party, I really don't want all of this falling on my mom and me. 

I'm going to keep looking around, but what are your thoughts? DOC or save that $$$?

1 comment:

  1. I'm having a DOC. they will be critical the day of. I found one's in my area for about $300.

    how about asking a non-bridal-party friend to do this for you?

    ReplyDelete